August 1, 2007

Back to work

After 7 months of maternity leave, today is my first day back at the office. Even though I had prepared myself mentally, nothing can make you ready... I woke up at 5:30 am with an ear pain, had a pounding headache at 8:00 am and nausea started at about 9:00 am.
I started the day with Nathan's first feeding, then ran around trying to get ready. Nathan definitely noticed something was off this morning and just wanted to be held which didn't help with getting ready! Everyone was stressed, even Mamili as it would be her first day alone with Nathanou.

After quick goodbyes, I got all my stuff in the car and started driving away. The drive was long but uneventful. Accompanied by James Blunt, my mind was wandering and doing a recap of the past 7 months, tears were coming up: How would I be able to leave my baby all day? As I passed Palo Alto, fond memories of car pooling with Sam came back -- still 30 minutes to go... Then, I made the rookie mistake of taking 85 N which has always bad traffic no matter what time of day.

Got to the office at around 9:00 am and went straight to my desk. Well, let's say that things were not exactly how I had left them: all the power cables, the mouse, the white-erase board, garbage bin and my chair were gone. So, my first action back on the job was to file a trouble ticket with facilities!

Nobody seem to expect me so I decided to come home early to make Nathan's last 2 feedings of the day. Separation at bedtime was hard, I would not see hime for 12 hours and after a day away from me how could he be sure he'd see me again...

I know it will all be ok and it is an adjustement for everyone in the family, so we'll keep working at making this a smooth transition.

No comments: