June 16, 2008

Zen and the art of hitchhiking

It was a gorgeous day down on the peninsula today when I left for my commute home. I had the windows rolled down, the music turned up, and there was no one on the road so I was able to go "the speed limit."

Suddenly, a bee got caught up in my airflow, smacked into the b-pillar, and landed on my lap. I was a little panicked at first, but realized that the bee was probably just as confused and surprised as I was. As long as I didn't do anything stupid, no one was likely to get hurt.

I immediately begin to think of ways to get the bee out of the car, but based on my current speed, I decided that it would be very difficult to pull off without a) pissing off the bee, b) squishing the bee and making a mess or c) driving my car into the median.

I didn't want to kill the bee. And I didn't want to get stung. And I certainly didn't want to make a mess in or OF my car. So... I decided to wait. The whole "smacking into the b-pillar" ordeal must have really taken its toll on him, as the bee was quietly hanging out on my leg for about 30 minutes. He occassionally would make a few tired steps, or "clean" his antennae or hind legs as if to say, "yeah, I meant to do that."

As I was driving north, further and further away from where I had bee-friended this little guy, I couldn't help but think that even though I hadn't killed him in my car by smashing him with a book or a shoe or the like, the fact that he would be 30 miles away from his hive would surely cause him some duress. That made me a little sad...

...but I got over it. When I got up to the entrance to 19th street, I finally was able to slow down enough to where I could safely open up my driver-side door and "flick" my little friend out of the car, to the safety of the cold hard concrete, upon which other motorists were happily traversing.

"Bee free, little friend!"

No comments: