October 1, 2008

Hi Docteur!

Two days after Sidney's appointment, we had to go back to Dr. S. for Nathan's 21-month check up. After a morning at the Zoo with Ana (and no nap!), I thought it may be a good idea to bring Nathan's toy medical case with us so that the Docteur wouldn't be that intimidating!

Well, it worked very well. For the first time Nathan let Dr. S. examine him without fussing or crying, They even played together: Nathan would give Dr. S. his toy blood pressure cuff and say "Thank you" -- meaning "please put it on me!" (He would not let me put it on him... Well, I'm not a Docteur!).

Dr. S. admitted being very impressed with how cooperative and alert Nathan was. When Dr. S. was done with his examination, I explained to Nathan that he was going to get 3 piqures (shots) which will hurt a bit but that he would be ok. When the nurses came in to give him his immunizations, I took him on my lap and squeezed him tight. As they gave the shots, Nathan made des grimaces but did not cry. Once gone, he kept looking at the little bandaids repeating: "That's OK. Bobo there but that's OK". I was stunned and proud... I kept hugging him for a while.

No comments: