June 19, 2007

Roger Waters with Roger Horwitz

A good friend of mine from work was able to get us a pair of amazing seats for us to the Roger Waters concert in Oakland. I took the BART over from the city (ask me how f*cked up the ticket purchasing process is for both the BART and MUNI is if you want to get me riled up) and met Roger at the arena.

When I got there I was thirsty, and thought I'd be drinking warm beer but it turns out that right next to the beer guy was a fully stocked bar guy. So instead of an $8 crappy beer, I ordered an $8 mediocre scotch and made my way down to our seats.

The show was amazing. The first half they played early hits and a few of Waters' solo songs.

Just before the intermission I received an email on my blackberry. Now normally I wouldn't have been checking my blackberry during a concert, but I was waiting to hear back from a recruiter which I had been working with who was trying to secure me an employement offer from a startup that I was really interested in working at. The email indicated that an offer letter was attached, and that they were willing to accomodate the requests I had made in order to accept the position.

I was on cloud nine!

I went an ordered another scotch, and then enjoyed the remainder of the show -- the full DSOTM album, as well as a few songs from the Wall and again a few solo works from Waters' later career.

All in all a FANTASTIC evening. It was of course tinged with a bit of sadness as I knew that Roger Horwitz and I soon would not be working together any more...

No comments: