May 8, 2009

Papa, no travaille...

With my ever-busy work schedule, I've had to endure more and more time away from Alex and the kids.

I was on the road all last week, and was supposed to be home Thursday night, but my schedule wasn't going to allow me to get back until very late.

I emailed Alex to let her know, and she emailed me back the following story...
To: Sam
From: Alex
Date: Thursday, May 07
...
I'm glad I told Nathan that you'd be home only tomorrow morning. I didn't want him to be disappointed if he didn't see you tonight.  But it's quite amazing because on Monday I had told him that you'd be back on Thursday night or maybe Friday morning (from his perspective). I explained that "he would go to school on Tuesday, then, no school on Wed, then school again on Thursday and that after his nap or night you'd be home".

Well, when he woke up this morning, he gave me a big hug and said "Papa's coming today!"

I must admit that I was floored. I just managed his expectation saying that you'd be back tomorrow morning after his night.  Such an amazing kid! We've had a good time together.


Friday morning I was up and had to be out the door before Nathan was awake, so I was only able to spend time with Sidney and Alex.  Sidney and I played and laughed a little bit... although I'm not sure if his excitementwas because he realized I had been gone for a week, or if it was just that he's a happy, smiley kid all the time.

When I got home tonight after a week of being gone, Nathan ran to meet me at the door, shouting "Papa, Papa!  No travaille..." ("no work") I was in heaven.  Lots of hugs, lots of kisses, lots of laughs.

So nice to be home.  I wish I never had to leave...

No comments: